VA, KY, MO & TX
GEORGE CHRISTAL, earliest known Christal of my line, was probably born in WV (VA), possibly Greenbrier Co.
as his son RICHARD b: 1780 was born there.
It's not known who was his wife or if other children.
b: 1780 in Greenbrier Co. WV (VA) m: c1799 in Wayne Co. KY to ELIZABETH BYARS
b: 1780 in Pilasky Co. KY.
Apparently at least Richard, if not George, had moved to Wayne Co. Kentucky where he patented land in 1810. Richard died April 11, 1818 intestate and
the estate was inventoried
. Richard & Elizabeth had eight children--all born in Wayne Co. KY.
- CATHERINE She married ELIZA MAJORS.
- ANNA , born 1800 in Wayne Co. KY. She married JAMES W. PHIPPS January 30, 1823 in Wayne Co., KY.
- Mary "POLLY" , born Abt. 1801 in Wayne Co. KY. She married THOMAS PHIPPS December 11, 1827.
- MILTON , born May 24, 1802 in Big Sinking Creek, Wayne, KY; died June 3, 1870 in Callao, Macon, MO
and died June 3, 1870 in Callao, Macon, MO. He married REBECIAH Barton ISBELL May 13, 1828 in
Wayne Co. , KY, daughter of THOMAS ISBELL and LEAH FRANCIS.
- JANE , born Abt. 1805 in Wayne Co., KY. She married PATTON MARTIN January 17, 1823 in Wayne Co. KY.
Notes for PATTON MARTIN:
Patton's last name may be MARTON(?)
- LUCINDA , born Abt. 1807 in Wayne Co. KY and died 1850 in Grundy Co. TN. She married ALADDIN Muhlenburg PARMLEY January 17, 1828 in
Wayne Co. KY, son of JOHN PARMLEY and REBECCA CROSS.
- SILAS Richard , born January 10, 1810 in Elks Springs Valley, Wayne, KY; died June 30, 1883 in Denton Co. TX/bd: Eakins Cem., Ponder, TX.
He married Mary ELIZABETH BURNETT December 30, 1832 in Wayne Co., KY, daughter of ROLAND BURNETT and Mary HURT.
- Richard STEWARD , born March 11, 1816 in Wayne Co. KY; died September 20, 1878 in Macon Co.MO.
He married (1) JEMINA TUTTLE November 19, 1835 in Wayne Co., KY, daughter of JAMES TUTTLE. He married (2) MARTHA J. POWELL February 1847.
In 1837 the widow, Elizabeth Christal
, her children
Silas R. Christal
, his wife Elizabeth
; Richard [S.] Christal
, his wife
& Jane Christal Martin
, her husband Paten Martin
sold approximately 334 3/4 acres of
in the Elk Spring Valley, Wayne Co. KY.
Richard's sons--Milton, Silas R. & Richard S.
moved to Missouri before 1815. Listed as settlers in Macon Co. MO
History of Macon Co. MO has Milton listed as old settler in Bevier Twp.
was married May 13, 1828 to REBECIAH BARTON ISBELL
b: September 26, 1809, daughter of Thomas & Leah Francis Isbell
they had seven known children:
SILAS R. CHRISTAL
- Mahuldah Jane , born Abt. 1830 in Wayne Co., KY; died October 17, 1898 in Cinncinati, OH. She married JAMES POWELL 1872 in Callao, MO.
- MARIAH A. , born Abt. 1832 in KY; died 1832
- Richard Byars , born October 4, 1833 in Wayne Co. KY. He married FRANCES Nancy GOODDING June 21, 1857,
daughter of ABRAHAM GOODDING and NANCY ROGERS.
- Amanda Ann , born Abt. 1835. She married CHARLES E. SMITH September 1855 in Putman Co., MO.
- ELIZABETH T. , born Abt. 1836 in KY
- Thomas Isbell , born Abt. 1838 in KY; died 1900. He married SARAH F. JONES 1865 in MO
- Mary Evaline "POLLY" , born Abt. 1845 in MO; died March 1906. She married DAN BRENNAN 1873 in MO.
married Mary ELIZABETH BURNETT
b: February 26, 1811 in Monticello, KY,
daughter of Roland
and Mary "Polly" Hurt Burnett
. They married December 30, 1832 in Wayne Co. KY.
Their first three children were born there. Before long they moved to Bevier Twp-Macon Co. MO where their last nine children were born.
On the 1850 Census, Silas & Elizabeth with their nine oldest children, are listed in Dist. #32; his occupation--farmer.
- Mary Jane, born October 6, 1833 married 1st OBEDIAH B. DODSON; 2nd MITCHELL WADE.
- RICHARD S., born December 24, 1834 married EMILY MORRIS
- ISHOM B., born March 4, 1837 married MARTHA S. WORCHESTER
JOHN R., born c1839; married ELZINA AIKENS.
- JAMES H., born September 26, 1840; married ELZINA AIKENS (brother's widow).
MILTON B., born c1841; died young.
- NANCY E., born June 23, 1843; married MERITY C. COSTEN.
- ROLAND C., born March 25, 1845; married 1st MARGARET SPEER; 2nd SARAH PENELOPE TOWNSEND.
(Roland had a total of 22 children--11 w/ each wife.)
MOSES, born c1846; died young.
- Silas GRANVILLE , born February 11, 1848; married MARY A. BURNETT
- STEPHEN, born c1849; married IDA A. SHIRLEY.
- LUCINDA L., born October 24, 1851; married JOSEPH W. COOKE.
and JEMINA TUTTLE
b: Nov 19,
1813 in Wayne Co. KY. Steward, as he was known, then married MARTHA J. POWELL
born c1828 in NC. They had eleven known children:
Child of STEWARD CHRISTAL and JEMINA TUTTLE is:
Elizabeth Emerine "BETSY", born Abt. 1837 in Macon Co. MO. m: JOHN NOLAN 1860 in Independant, MO.
Children of STEWARD CHRISTAL and MARTHA POWELL are:
- SILAS B., born Abt. 1849 in MO.
- SUSAN A., born Abt. 1850 in MO; died Bef. 1860.
- JAMES M., born Abt. 1852 in MO.
- JOHN J., born May 15, 1853 in MO; died January 13, 1916 in MO bd: Chapel Hill Cem., Macon Co. MO.
- LINDLEY F., born Abt. 1855 in MO.
- PETER A. or R., born Abt. 1857 in MO.
- MARTHA S. or F., born Abt. 1858 in MO.
- JANICE, born Abt. 1859 in MO28
- BENNA E., born 1863 in MO.
- ELEANOR B., born 1864 in MO.
- ERNEST, born 1868 in MO.
, with their first two children and his daughter Betsy
appear on the 1850 Census of District #5 Macon Co. MO, occupation--farmer.
In the 1860 Census they are in Narrows Township, Macon Co. with their first seven children.
Betsy probably already married by the time of the census.
Silas R. & Mary Elizabeth Burnett Christal moved their family to Texas about 1853. Also moving to Texas
was their oldest married daughter, Mary Jane, her husband, Obediah B. Dodson and their family.
All settled in an area then known as Denton Creek Settlement, now known as Stony, in what is now
western Denton Co. but at the time was eastern Wise Co.
Here Silas purchased land with a cabin from Rueben Vaughan for $500. Silas built a mill on the nearby
Denton Creek to grind either wheat or corn, possibly both; later he added another room to the cabin.
The family prospered and became well known in the area. The first Baptist church of that area was organized in their home.
Later one of Silas' son, Silas Granville, became a local minister.
Some of Elizabeth Burnett Christal 's family also settled in the area and developed land west of Silas' location.
After the population in the area grew there was a need for a nearby school so one was built at Stony
and was known as the Christal-Burnett Schoolhouse. Years later it was restored and moved into Ponder, a near-by town.
On the 1870 Census of Denton Co. TX, Silas & Elizabeth with last two children at home were living at Elizabethtown, occupation--farmer.
Nearby were their son & daughter-in-law, Rev. Silas Granville & Mary Christal, occupation--farmer; their daughter,
Mary Jane Mitchell & her second husband, Wade, with her four children (by first husband, Obediah Dodson), occupation--farmer.
Quite a few Christals are buried in Eakins Cemetery, Ponder, TX.
Others are buried at IOOF Cemetery in Denton, TX, or Oaklawn Cemetery in Decatur, TX.
Thanks to: Aline LaBeff Christal, Pat Christal, Bill Marquis for their
very helpful information.
| The Christal Surname Resource Ctr. |
| My Christal Outline | Christal Queries |
Christal researchers-email |
Christal researchers-homepages |
Burnett Descendants |
Thatcher Descendants |
This page created and maintained by
Nancy Cleere Rodgers ©1997-
Corrections or Additions?
Updated March 25, 2000